Think Corner Volunteers
Between August 25th – September 13th the University of Birmingham is hosting a public engagement pop-up shop called ‘Think Corner’ to showcase research from across the sciences, arts and humanities. Researchers will be using the space to engage with the public through a whole range of fun, entertaining and thought-provoking activities and talks. Think Corner will be held in a shop unit in the Pavilions Shopping Centre in Birmingham’s city centre.
Think Corner is part of a University-wide initiative organized and supported by the Public Engagement Working Group. Think Corner’s aim is promote two-way dialogue between researchers and the public. We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic and self-motivated volunteers to help us with the set-up and day to day running of the shop. Volunteers will work alongside the planning team to provide valuable support to the researchers running activities; however, your main role will be to welcome the public in to the space, to explain what Think Corner is all about and to encourage them to take part. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone hoping to get practical experience in public engagement.
Tasks will include (but are not limited to):
- Welcoming the public in to the space
- Being able to explain Think Corner’s aims (you do not have to explain the research!)
- Help with set-up, installation and take-down of some of the activities taking place
- Marketing/ PR – help us promote the event through our social media (we’ll help you on this)
- Admin for our evaluation activities
- Supporting the running of events including some weekend/evening events
- Readying the space for the start/end of the day
You will be the University’s public-facing representative so it is vital that you have these essential skills:
- Self-motivation with excellent organization skills and able to work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with the public
- Be a great communicator – spoken and written
- Have creative and flexible approach to the role with an enthusiastic team spirit
- Experience of working at festivals or event coordination
- Previous public engagement experience
- Technical experience e.g. helping set up projector
Volunteers will be supported throughout their time at Think Corner as there is always someone else on hand if you need help. What you will get out of it:
- Valuable experience working in public engagement
- Experience in event coordination & skills liaising with the public
- …and more!
How do I apply?
Please provide us with your name, contact details and a short paragraph explaining your interest and suitability for the role no later than Friday August 15th at 4pm. Please email email@example.com with ‘Think Corner Volunteer’ in the subject header.
We request that all volunteers take on a minimum of 4 shifts.
Morning shifts start at 9.30am – 2pm
Afternoon shifts start at 1.30pm – 6pm (7pm on Thursdays, 5pm on Sundays)
A briefing meeting will take place in the week prior to the shop opening. You will also be required to attend this to familiarize yourself with the space and your volunteer responsibilities.