Public Engagement Day will be held online on Friday 9 July 2021.
This annual engagement conference hosted here at the University of Birmingham combines thought-provoking speakers, workshops, training and more, serving as an in-depth day dedicated to all things public engagement.
Come and enjoy time together to learn about new approaches and ideas from our community and beyond, to meet new colleagues and re-connect with old, and to reflect on ambitions we share.
Register for this free event today!
10:00 – Welcome from Professor Tim Softley, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer
10:30 – The Changing Environment of HE Engagement and Impact, chaired by Alice Roberts, Broadcaster and Professor of Public Engagement with Science
Join Dr Steve Scott, Public Engagement Lead at UKRI, Professor Heather Widdows, John Ferguson Professor of Global Ethics and Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research Impact) and Genevieve Adkins, Director of Public Engagement for a reflection of the changing environment in the HE sector and what this means for public engagement.
12:00 – Engaging Audiences with Research Workshops – choice of 3 sessions
- Working thematically: The Big Idea – with Holly Pyke, Community Engagement Coordinator
- Designing The Air We Breathe – A behind the scenes look at designing a research led exhibition with Designer Metaphor.
- Crafting audience focused public events – with Laura Milner, Public Programmes Manager.
13:00 – Lunch
14:00 – Case Study Showcase
This fast-paced session will provide members of the University community with the opportunity to share their new ideas and brilliant projects. Each speaker will only have 20 PowerPoint slides that auto-forward every 20 seconds!
15:00 – PE Skills Workshops– choice of 3 sessions
- Virtual public engagement and performance skills – Join professional storyteller Anna Conomos-Wedlock as she explores how to engage successfully in online environments.
- Learning and engaging through drawing – Artist Paul Carney will be joined by Alice Roberts, Broadcaster and Professor of Public Engagement with Science, to explore how drawing can be used to engage new audiences.
- UoB House Style Guide- Interpretation expert Kate Hulme will share how the University’s new house style guide can be used to style your research communications.
16:00 – Summing up and Award Presentations
16:30 – Online networking event
Meet new colleagues and re-connect with old as you share your learning from the day.