NERC-funded scientists are invited to enter their public engagement poster competition. Winners will have the chance to attend the exclusive ‘Engaging with NERC’ public engagement partnership event at the Natural History Museum. This is an exciting opportunity to network, showcase your skills, and present your poster to key representatives from the public engagement community.
At the invitation-only event, NERC will introduce our new public engagement strategy to a select audience, as well as facilitating panel and round-table discussions about challenges and opportunities in public engagement. ‘Engaging with NERC’ is a chance to learn more about the sector and current hot topics from public engagement professionals.
NERC will cover your transport costs to attend and present you with a certificate of achievement.
Entry and judging criteria
Your poster should give a short profile of you and your work as an environmental scientist and describe a simple activity or experiment which the public can do at home, with the aims of:
- inspiring the next generation of environmental scientists
- engaging people in environmental research and its importance
- informing people about your career in environmental science.
It should be aimed at a public audience with little knowledge of environmental sciences or careers in this field. It is usually best to keep text to a minimum and include engaging images. Ideally, your suggested home experiment will be linked in some way to your field of science.
- Does the poster meet the aims as described above?
- Is it pitched at an appropriate audience knowledge level?
- Does the design use imagery and/or diagrams appropriate and in an engaging way?
- Is the design clear and coherent – does it use matching fonts, colour schemes etc?
- Does it encourage the viewer to find out more about your field of science, or about environmental science in general, or about careers in science, or to carry out the suggested activity?
- Is the suggested activity simple, engaging, safe to carry out at home and clearly explained?
- Is text used appropriately: is it accurate, concise and jargon free?
Entry deadline is midnight on Monday 15 February 2016.
Submit your entry using the online form– external link.
For competition enquiries:
Public engagement officer
Events & engagement officer
For engagement partnership event enquiries:
Administrator, Head Office services team